With 25 consumer defense attorneys across our 10 offices, the Consumer Defense Section is led by Bryan Shartle (metro-New Orleans), James Schultz (San Diego), and Dayle Van Hoose (Tampa), all with guidance from our Senior Partner, David Israel (metro-New Orleans).
On a nationwide basis, we protect debt collectors, creditors, debt buyers, loan servicers, and other financial institutions from single-plaintiff and class action consumer lawsuits. The Firm has defended claims brought under virtually every federal and state statute relating to collector misconduct, improper credit reporting, and automated telephone calls. We work with numerous errors and omissions insurance carriers.
We don’t just settle. We litigate our cases in motion practice and try cases when necessary!
Our attorneys appear nationwide in federal and state courts and arbitrations.
The Firm enjoys a national reputation as having the largest consumer defense practice group dedicated solely to protecting debt collectors, creditors, debt buyers, loan servicers, and other financial institutions.
We receive and defend more than 1,200 consumer lawsuits across the country every year and protect the largest collection agencies in the world. We receive and defend 250+ putative class actions annually, again addressing federal and state consumer claims. We also resolve nearly 1,000+ pre-suit matters yearly.
As of year-end 2019, we had defended over 17,000 single-plaintiff consumer lawsuits and over 3,000 putative class actions.
Should you receive a pre-suit demand or be sued, we staff matters based on location, relationships, and expertise. In those states where we have an office, matters filed in that state are placed with that office.
We always consider whether a particular attorney has a “working relationship” with plaintiff’s counsel. Specialized attorney expertise also factors into our matter assignment decisions. While all our consumer defense attorneys are familiar with the various consumer laws, an attorney with specialized experience may join the team to guide you through complex issues and provide an added edge to your defense.
What We Provide:
- Nationwide consumer defense representation, where we act as trial counsel. We have 10 offices located strategically throughout the United States where most of the consumer lawsuits are filed. If we do not have an attorney licensed in a jurisdiction, we secure admission with special permission for that case with reliance on our local counsel network.
- We do not simply manage your case. Our lawyers are involved from the beginning, assisting clients with the investigation into the root cause of the claim, working through discovery and motion practice and up to trial, all the way through an appeal if ever needed.
- While clients dictate our ultimate litigation approach and strategy, we work to expeditiously resolve pre-suits, single-plaintiff cases, and putative class actions in an intelligent, business-like, and economic fashion.
- Coordinating with our Compliance & Regulatory Section, we identify collector problems, training shortcomings, letter reviews, and pattern or practice issues, all to prevent the next third-party demand.
- Using our database of thousands of pre-suits and lawsuits, we can provide up-to-date information regarding the “true value” of nearly every matter being prosecuted by most consumer plaintiff attorneys in the country.
- As a service to our enterprise clients, we handle their insurance reporting obligations through bordereau reporting and claims submission, all as required by the insurer.
- Using our Case Analysis Summary Evaluation (C.A.S.E.) Reports that detail all aspects of a lawsuit and require a pro-active vs. reactive approach, we provide as needed or carrier-required detailed analyses identifying critical case facts, legal issues, plaintiff history, documents identified, and assessments for the efficient and successful management of all cases.
- We work with every major insurer, know their requirements for reporting and billing and create in a timely manner all required reporting and insurance auditable invoicing.
- Communication is critical. We understand your business and we know getting sued is an unwanted distraction. We will work with you closely to quickly resolve the distraction.
- We use “tactical litigation.” Our defense is strategic—we balance the specifics of a case with what you decide is the “bigger picture” interests of the company.
- Clients are routinely updated on new trends or legal theories being advanced across the country to stay in front of new compliance challenges. Because of our national reach, we are often at the forefront of identifying a new type of claim made in one part of the country before it gains a foothold nationally.
Our goals are to maintain a long-term relationship with clients with cost-effective litigation, while helping clients achieve their growth and success.
Practice Area Leaders
- ► Michael D. Alltmont, Metairie
- ► Allison Cannizaro, Metairie
- ► Andrew Cunningham, Chicago
- ► Michael Del Valle, Buffalo
- ► Aaron R. Easley, Flemington
- ► Wendi Fassbender, Atlanta
- ► Louis L. Galvis , Fort Collins
- ► Justin H. Homes , Metairie
- ► Erik King, Tampa
- ► Debbie P. Kirkpatrick, San Diego
- ► Morgan I. Marcus, Chicago
- ► Charles Penot, Dallas
- ► Hannah Pizzini, Metairie
- ► Brian D. Roth, Metairie
- ► Michael P. Schuette, Tampa
- ► Spencer M. Schulz, Metairie
- ► Brittany Shaw, San Diego
- ► Kirsten H. Smith, Metairie
- ► Bradley St. Angelo, Metairie
- ► Whitney L. White, Dallas
- ► Ashley Wydro, Tampa