Morgan I. Marcus
Morgan’s practice primarily focuses on defending both single-plaintiff and class action lawsuits and arbitrations brought under federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Additionally, Morgan has significant experience handling bankruptcy related litigation in consumer and corporate bankruptcies, and regularly represents clients nationwide, including loan servicers, original creditors, debt buyers, and debt collectors defending claims for fraudulent and preferential transfers, turnover actions, valuation disputes, claims litigation, dischargeability actions, lien avoidance, and claims for violation of the automatic stay and discharge order.
- Simon v. Fair Collections & Outsourcing, Inc., et al., 1:16CV06072, Dkt. 28 (N.D. Ill. Nov. 22, 2016) (Obtained dismissal as a matter of law where plaintiff alleged violations of the FDCPA against an owner of an apartment building based upon use of false name theory.
- Eul v. Transworld Sys., et al., No. 15 C 7755, 2017 WL 1178537 (N.D. Ill. Mar. 30, 2017) (Obtained dismissal where the plaintiff asserted violations of the FDCPA and Illinois state law against a loan servicer based upon alleged improper collection of student loan debts).
- Gordon v. Syndicated Office Sys., LLC, No. 16 C 4440, 2017 WL 1134489 (N.D. Ill. Mar. 27, 2017) (Won motion to dismiss where the plaintiff claimed violations of the FDCPA based upon alleged improper credit reporting).
- Archibong v. Southwest Credit Sys., et al., 17 C 01785 (D. Md. Jan. 17, 2018) (Won motion to dismiss where the plaintiff alleged violations of the FDCPA, FCRA, and Maryland state law, based upon alleged improper credit reporting).
- Castronovo v. Phoenix Fin. Servs., LLC, No. 18 C 01844, 2019 WL 2411331 (S.D. Ind. June 7, 2019) (Won motion to dismiss where the plaintiff asserted violations of the FDCPA for alleged overshadowing of the plaintiff’s validation rights). In re Greer-Allen, No. 17-1129, 2019 WL 3422933 (Bankr. D. Mass. July 29, 2019) (Obtained summary judgment finding student loans non-dischargeable under the Bankruptcy Code).
- Peters v. AvanteUSA, Ltd., No. 4:17-CV-97-TLS-JEM, 2020 WL 1675773 (N.D. Ind. Apr. 3, 2020) (Won motion to dismiss where the plaintiff claimed violations of the FDCPA based upon alleged improper credit reporting). Tisdale v. CASA Partners V.L.P. The Park at Winterset, 805 F. App’x 230 (4th Cir. 2020) (Won in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals affirming a dismissal of claims brought under the FCRA).
- Arwa Chiropractic, P.C. v. Med-Care Diabetic & Med. Supplies, Inc., 961 F.3d 942, 952 (7th Cir. 2020) (Obtained order in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirming district court’s grant of summary judgment to officer of company for claims brought under TCPA).
- Brandeis University Chicago Alumni Association
Honors and Distinctions
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2016-2020
141 W. Jackson Blvd
Chicago, Illinois 60604
Direct: (312) 578-0985
Cell: (773) 318-6095
Office: (312) 578-0990
Fax: (877) 334-0661